Seven Things That Are Different
7 things that are different in North Carolina from Finland
1. Friendly – Everyone in the US talks to strangers. She learned about the expected interaction when chatting up someone you don’t know.
2. Meal sizes – huge. She ends up taking food home and that you need to tip.
3. Sales tax – prices are not actual tax
4. US measurment are NOT metric – they make no sense
5. Political correctness – can’t talk about everything. especially religion or evolution (teacher had to give disclaimer) also abortion and same sex marriage
6. No decent public transportation – no car, no way to move. Not many sidewalks, not many people walk.
7. Language – American English is hard, especially at first. It’s exhausting to learn everything in a different language.